Andrews Methodist Church

Also known as: Mothers` Day Shrine, Andrews Methodist Episcopal Churchy
E. Main St. between St. John and Luzader Sts., Grafton, West Virginia

Photos 

File:International Mothers Day Shrine.jpg

Photo taken by Brian M. Powell

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at en.wikipedia.org

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From Philadelphia, Anna M. Jarvis sent 500 carnations to this church, which she had attended as a youth, to be distributed at morning services on Sunday, May 10, 1908 to honor mothers. Philadelphia merchant John Wanamaker, who had joined her cause to establish Mother's Day, held an afternoon service in his store the same day. The movement, a combination of religious and commercial interests, grew rapidly, and in 1914 President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed that the second Sunday in May would be observed annually as Mother's Day throughout the nation. The church where it all began is now the International Mother's Day Shrine and is open to the public. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 5, 1992

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1970
Reference number
70000667
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current functions
Religious structure; Library
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1900-1924
Significant years
1873; 1908; 1907

Update Log 

  • August 24, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • October 10, 2015: New photo from Jim Allen
  • January 15, 2015: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources