Bruton Parish Church

Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, Virginia

Photos 

Bruton Parish Church

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The church was begun in 17112 to a design provided by Governor Alexander Spottswood. The nave was lengthened to the east in 1752, and the steeple was added in 1769. This is the church, in continuous use since 1715, whose rector, Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, first conceived the restoration of Williamsburg. He erased nineteenth century changes early in the twentieth century, and later the church was authentically restored by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1940. It is owned by the Trustees of Bruton Parish Church. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS VA-191)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 10, 1970
Reference number
70000861
Architectural styles
Georgian; Other architectural type; Gothic-Renaissance
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1711; 1715; 1769

Update Log 

  • May 5, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • July 22, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • November 18, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources