First Presbyterian Church of Blissfield

306 Franklin St., Blissfield, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: First Presbyterian Church

This church was organized in 1829, one of the oldest Presbyterian groups in the state. The sanctuary, completed in 1849, is largely the work of the Rev. John Monteith, who preached here 1845-1855. A graduate of Princeton Seminary, he came to Michigan in 1816. In that year he founded the first Protestant society in Detroit. In 1817 he became the first president of the University of Michigan. After his service in Blissfield, he retired from active ministry.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 3, 1971
Reference number
71000403
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1849; 1883

Sources