Edisto Island Presbyterian Church

1.9 mi. N of Edisto Island on SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Edisto Island Presbyterian Church 1

Photo taken by Michael Miller

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Edisto Island Presbyterian Church, a two-story, rectangular structure, was built 1831 by a Mr. Pillans. In 1836, E.M. Curtis, an architect of Charleston, replaced the portico and added a coved ceiling over the interior. Except for these alterations, the building remains original. Massive Greek Doric columns of the portico support a triangular pediment which has a central circular window. The frieze at the pedimentís base features alternating metopes and triglyphs. The church also features large Palladian entrances with semi-circular fanlights. A cupola is used in place of a steeple on the low gabled roofline. The side walls each have two entrances identical to the front. Between there are three 12 over 12 windows with fanlights and arched shutters. Six small one-sash windows on the second floor level are placed directly above the six openings on the first floor. This church serves one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in South Carolina, having been formed about 1685. Listed in the National Register June 24, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 24, 1971
Reference number
71000754
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1831

Update Log 

  • July 18, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 15, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources