Trinity Episcopal Church

About 1.2 mi. N of Edisto Island on SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photos 

Trinity Episcopal Church

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Trinity Episcopal Church, constructed ca. 1876, is significant architecturally as the only Episcopal Church and the only example of Victorian church architecture on Edisto Island. The church is a one-story wooden meeting house form structure built on ground level. A short flight of steps leads to the porch which extends the full width of the building. The porch has slender, square posts which support a triangular pediment. Vertical planks of the pediment, pointed at base, form a zigzag design. The triangular louver at center of the pediment is both decorative and functional. The inset steeple, covered with white shingles, has decorative louvers. The double, three-panel entrance of the fašade is surmounted by an elaborate, semi-circular fanlight. This building with its white boards and shingles contrasted with its dark green roof, shutters and louvers fits in well with its parklike surroundings. This structure replaced an older structure which was burned accidentally. Listed in the National Register May 14, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 14, 1971
Reference number
71000759
Architectural style
Victorian
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1876

Update Log 

  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • July 18, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller
  • October 29, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller
  • October 28, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller

Sources