Horn Creek Baptist Church

Old Stage Road and Yarborough Road, Edgefield, South Carolina

Historic church near Edgefield, SC

Photo 

Horn Creek Baptist Church, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

One of the oldest Baptist churches in the South Carolina Upcountry, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. Today it is one of the few remaining meeting house style churches in the area reflecting austere simplicity and manifesting frugality of early settlers. The one-roomed church is supported by fieldstone foundation piers and has wooden steps leading to two front doors that are hinged to fold in the center. A door behind the pulpit leads to a creek for baptizing. The churchís adjoining cemetery has excellent iron work including a cast iron gate at the Bettis plot which has a design that incorporates a Palmetto tree flanked by lambs and roses. A wooden fence next to the Bettis plot surrounds fieldstone markers. Revolutionary War activity in the Horn Creek area included a 1781 skirmish in which patriot Captain Thomas Kee of Colonel Leroy Hammondís regiment, attacked a Tory party under Captain Clark. Clark was killed and the entire company was made prisoners. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000773
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
1790

Update Log 

  • August 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 30, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview" & Updated "Address"

Sources