Prince George Winyah Church (Episcopal) and Cemetery

Corner of Broad and Highmarket Sts., Georgetown, South Carolina

Photos 

Prince George Winyah Church

NW Elevation

Photo taken by Michael Miller on November 24, 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Prince George, Winyah Parish, among the oldest parishes in South Carolina, was formed in 1721. Its church possesses a handsome Jacobean gable which is one of two noteworthy examples remaining in South Carolina. The church, ca. 1750, is a rectangular handmade brick building with a semicircular apse at the east end and vestibule at the west. From the vestibule and at the roof line rises a square tower, terminating with octagonal sections. One section contains the clock, the other is an arcaded belfry with balustrade, crowned by a cupola like roof and a large cross. The tower and chancel were added in 1824. It was occupied by British troops during the Revolution, at which time the interior was badly burned. The interior features a central aisle leading to the altar in the apse, old box pews, handmade woodwork, a flagstone floor, organ, and choir gallery in the west end. The church and cemetery are surrounded by a wall of molded handmade brick. The church house, ca. 1825, across the street is part of the Georgetown Historic District. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71000783
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
1750

Update Log 

  • November 28, 2017: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 9, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources