Hebron Lutheran Church

1 mi. NE of Madison off U.S. 29, Madison, Virginia

Photo 

Fence style

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Hebron Lutheran Church is one of four surviving wooden churches of Virginia's colonial heritage. Constructed in 1740 by German settlers in the Madison region near the Robinson River, at the time the church and its community represented the western-most outpost of the Virginia frontier. The church is architecturally notable for it hewn shipwright's roof truss, an 1802 Tannenberg concert organ, and the ornate frescoed ceiling from the Victorian era. The church is historically notable for having the distinction of being the oldest Lutheran Church in continuous use by its congregation in the United States. It is structurally sound but in need of plastering and paint. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 2, 1971
Reference number
71000986
Architectural style
Colonial
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1700-1749
Significant year
1740
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Tags 

18th Century (4,612)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1740 (49)
Built during 1740s (307)
Church (5,532)
Colonial (1,104)
Madison County, Virginia (24)
Madison, Virginia (6)
Place of worship (5,891)
Private owner (54,396)
Virginia (3,564)

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2012: Imported photo from HABS/HAER

Sources