Grace Protestant Episcopal Church

Also known as: Mission Church for Canal Boatmen
1041 Wisconsin Ave., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The "child" of two early existing Georgetown Episcopal Parishes, the Grace Parish was founded din 1855 as a mission church for boatmen and workers form the adjacent C & O Canal. With the financial support of District Governor Henry D. Cooke,the existing edifice was constructed in 1866-67; with major repairs in 1923 the structure has remained practically intact to this date. While the architect is unknown, Grace Church bears a striking resemblance to the nearby Oak Hill Chapel designed by James Renwick in 1850. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71001001
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1866; 1867
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Tags 

19th Century (36,278)
Built 1866 (264)
Built during 1860s (3,604)
Church (5,392)
District of Columbia (518)
Have Street View (30,845)
Place of worship (5,740)
Private owner (54,397)
Sandstone (4,862)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,162)
Washington, District of Columbia (518)

Related landmarks 

Sources