St. Augustine Church

Off CR W, New Diggings, Wisconsin

Photos 

South Elevation

St. Sugustine Church is no longer an active parish, however, it is the destination of pilgrims and is open each Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00. A memorial mass is held on the last Sunday of August.

The church was built by Father Samuel Charles Mazzuchelli, who came to the Tri-state area in about 1835. He founded 30 parishes, naming three of them after Archangels, Saint Raphael's in Dubuque, Iowa, St. Michael's in Galena, Illinois, and Saint Gabriel's in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. He designed and built 24 churches and civic buildings in the area, including this church. (Five of his churches are reported extant.)

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72000057
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate; Other architectural type; Early Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1844

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2010: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources