Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin

2 mi. SW of Nashotah on Nashotah House Rd., Nashotah, Wisconsin

Photos 

Exterior from northeast. August 1960. Photo by Cervin Robinson.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

This building is a rather unusual example of a mid-nineteenth century Gothic Revival chapel and is the work of Richard Upjohn, distinguished American architect. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 23, 1972
Reference number
72000067
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Other architectural type; English Perpendicular Gothic
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1859; 1866

Tags 

19th Century (36,897)
Built 1859 (313)
Built during 1850s (4,623)
Church (5,532)
Gothic (1,435)
James Douglas (11)
Limestone (8,192)
Nashotah, Wisconsin (1)
Place of worship (5,891)
Private owner (54,396)
Victorian (19,697)
Waukesha County, Wisconsin (160)
Wisconsin (2,553)

Update Log 

  • June 2, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources