Strawberry Chapel and Childsbury Town Site

SE of Moncks Corner on CR 44, N of the Tee of the Cooper River, Moncks Corner, South Carolina

Photo 

Strawberry Chapel and Childsbury Town, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Childsbury, one of the early towns to be laid out in South Carolina (1707), is significant as an important archaeological site. Englishman James Child started a ferry here as it was the only practical ferry site across the Cooper River within a reasonable distance. Property was designated for a college, a free school, a house for the schoolmaster, a place of worship, and a market square. To the inhabitants of Childsbury, Child gave 600 acres to farm and pasture. He also gave them the 100-acre hill by the river to build upon as a citadel to protect the town in times of war. Due mainly to the rise of the new and growing plantations, Childsbury began a rapid decline and the town site eventually became part of a plantation. Strawberry Chapel is the only visible remains of the town of Childsbury. Architecturally the chapel displays the simple, yet dignified and impressive lifestyle of an Episcopalian Chapel of Ease. This one story rectangular brick building has an unadorned hipped gable roof. The double three paneled door of the fašade, surmounted by flush fanlight is symmetrically situated between two shuttered windows of the same three panel design. These chapels were built to serve the people for whom the regular parish church was inaccessible. Strawberry Chapel became unique as a Chapel of Ease in that it is operated as a full parish church. Usually these chapels were denied some of the privileges of a parish church. A small cemetery is adjacent to the chapel. Listed in the National Register April 26, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 1972
Reference number
72001194
Areas of significance
Military; Transportation; Education; Architecture; Religion; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Village site; Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1700-1749
Significant years
1707; 1725
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Description"

Sources