Church of the Holy Cross

136 8th St., Troy, New York

Photos 

PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF CHURCH, BELFRY ON LEFT (AS RE-SITED IN 1859) AND MARY WARREN FREE INSTITUTE ON RIGHT (BUILT IN 1863)

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Church of the Holy Cross was founded by Mary Warren in the early 1840s. Under the direction of Mary Warren's son, Nathan B. Warren, the church nave was built from designs by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1844. The chancel addition, by Richard Upjohn, was completed in late 1848 and dedicated in January, 1849. In 1846, the Church of the Holy Cross instituted the first full choral service in an Episcopal church in the United States. In the full choral service, the psalter, creed and responses of the English Cathedral Service are chanted by the choir while the officiant intones his part. In 1863, the Mary Warren Free Institute was built adjoining the church to the south in order to further religious and musical instruction in the Episcopal Church. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973
Reference number
73001253
Architectural style
Other architectural type; American Gothic Revival
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Period of significance
1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • July 1, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources