Duncan's Creek Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Old Rock Church
5 mi. NE of Clinton, off SC 72, Clinton, South Carolina

Historic rural church in Northern Laurens County, SC

Photos 

Duncans Creek Presbyterian Church

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Duncan’s Creek Presbyterian Church, built ca. 1842, is one of the earliest examples of rural church architecture in the upper part of the state. Its unadorned simplicity and solid stone construction are characteristic of buildings erected by early Scotch-Irish settlers in the Southeast. A simple rectangular building constructed of irregular stones, the church stands as a reminder of mid-nineteenth century rustic church architecture. The gable end is the main entrance façade and is centered with double doors flanked by two narrow windows at a slightly higher level. Its simplicity, uncomplicated symmetry, and fine stone masonry are features that make it a valuable record of upcountry rural architecture. One of the few changes made in the church was the removal of the original rear slave gallery in the first third of the twentieth century. Many churches in Laurens County are “daughters” of this old church as members of its congregation left to establish new churches in neighboring areas. The church is situated on a wooded site and is flanked by a cemetery containing carved stone markers of both Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers. The earliest grave dates from 1776. Listed in the National Register November 15, 1973. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1973
Reference number
73001714
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1842
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • May 28, 2020: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 6, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • November 6, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview", Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources