St. Paul's Episcopal Church

904 E. Knapp St., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Richardsonian Romanesque church designed by Edward Townsend Mix

Photos 

Overview Looking Northwest

As seen from the parking lot of the Astor Hotel.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The second church built for Milwaukee's pioneer Episcopal congregation (organized in 1838), St. Paul's is the city's outstanding Richardsonian Romanesque church and is further distinguished by a splendid collection of stained-glass windows."
~Statement of Significance, HABS/HAER Report Feb 2, 1969

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1974
Reference number
74000110
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1882; 1890

Update Log 

  • June 27, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Description

Sources