First Presbyterian Church

Main St. and Wilson Ave., Eutaw, Alabama

A historic Greek Revival church building in Eutaw, Alabama.

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Alex Bush, Photographer, June 24, 1935 FRONT VIEW (SOUTH)

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The First Presbyterian Church is a historic Greek Revival church building in Eutaw, Alabama. The two-story frame structure was built for the local Presbyterian congregation in 1851 by David R. Anthony. Anthony was a local contractor who constructed many of Eutaw's antebellum buildings. The congregation was organized by the Tuscaloosa Presbytery in 1824 as the Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church. John H. Gray served as the first minister from 1826 until 1836. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 16, 1974, due to its architectural and historical significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 16, 1974
Reference number
74000411
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1851

Update Log 

  • May 11, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources