Episcopal Church of the Nativity

212 Eustis St., Huntsville, Alabama

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in December 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Completed in 1859, the Church of the Nativity is one of the most pristine examples of Ecclesiological Gothic architecture in the South. It is also one of the least-altered structures by the hand of Frank Wills. The English-born Wills, along with James Renwick and Richard Upjohn , led the Gothic Revival movement in American religious architecture. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 21, 1990

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
Reference number
74000420
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1859
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • December 1, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources