Dexter Avenue Baptist Church

454 Dexter Ave., Montgomery, Alabama

Photos 

Oblique View of Church

Photo taken by Rick Mattioni in March 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This small, eclectic-style church (1878) served as the original headquarters of the Montgomery Improvement Association, headed by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968), which carried out a successful boycott of segregated city buses in 1955. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 30, 1974

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1974
Reference number
74000431
Architectural styles
Victorian; Other architectural type; Eclectic
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1950-1974
Significant years
1954; 1955; 1959

Update Log 

  • February 19, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • June 15, 2013: New photos from Rick Mattioni

Sources