First Methodist Church

Also known as: Monroe Arts Center
11th St. and 14th Ave., Monroe, Wisconsin

Mix designed Late-Gothic Revival church repurposed as a theater and arts center for the community.

Photos 

Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Noted architect Edward Townsend Mix designed this Late-Gothic Revival church for the First Methodist Episcopal congregation in 1869. It served until 1976 when it was purchased by the not-for-profit Monroe Arts Center, formed specifically to purchase the property. An expansion is planned.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 25, 1975
Reference number
75000065
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1869; 1887
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 28, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status, Added Description and Added Photos

Sources