St. Paul's Episcopal Church

210 Lauderdale St., Selma, Alabama

A historic Gothic Revival church located in Selma, Alabama.

Photos 

St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Photo taken by WillyT

View this photo at bamarides.com

Map 

Description 

St. Paul's Episcopal Church is a historic Gothic Revival church located in Selma, Alabama, United States. The parish was established in 1838. The original sanctuary building was burned during the Battle of Selma, with credit for that act going to Union General James H. Wilson. The current building was designed by the New York firm of Richard Upjohn, it was completed in 1875. The interior features several Tiffany stained glass windows designed by a local native parishioner, Clara Weaver Parrish. She was a noted artist who worked for Tiffany Studios in New York. St. Paul's Episcopal was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 1975.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 1975
Reference number
75000311
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Early Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1871; 1874

Tags 

19th Century (37,425)
Alabama (1,821)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1871 (409)
Built during 1870s (4,974)
Church (5,652)
Dallas County, Alabama (35)
Place of worship (6,015)
Private owner (54,396)
R.& R.M. Upjohn (1)
Selma, Alabama (20)
Slate (5,715)

Update Log 

  • November 29, 2011: New photos from WillyT
  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources