First Congregational Church

Also known as: Richmond Center for the Performing Arts, Richmond Community Theater
69619 Parker, Richmond, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Richmond Center for the Performing Arts

Built in 1887, this structure formerly served as the First Congregational Church. When the congregation merged with St. Paul's Evengelical and Reformed Church in 1973, it sold the building to the Richmond Community Theatre. That group adapted the interior for reuse as a theater and carefully restored the exterior. The building is a significant example of Gothic Revival architecture. The Richmond Center for the Performing Arts was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1975
Reference number
75000954
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Other architectural type; Victorian Gothic vernacular
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Theater
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1887

Tags 

19th Century (37,340)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1887 (604)
Built during 1880s (6,387)
Charles W. McCauley (1)
Church (5,644)
Gothic (1,435)
Macomb County, Michigan (16)
Michigan (1,919)
Owned by local government (11,501)
Place of worship (6,008)
Richmond, Michigan (1)
Stone (26,161)
Victorian (19,697)

Sources