Second Baptist Church Of Detroit

Also known as: Second Baptist Church Society & Colored American Baptist Chu
441 Monroe St., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Second Baptist Church

Founded in 1836 by thirteen former slaves, this is the oldest black congregation in Michigan. From it beginnings the church has occupied a prominent place in Detroit's black community. In 1839 it established the city's first school for black children, and its first pastor, the Reverend William C. Monroe, was a noted anti-slavery activist. In 1843 he presided over the first State Convention of Colored Citizens, which met at the Second Baptist Church. Delegates demanded the right to vote and an end to slavery. On January 6, 1863, Detroit's blacks celebrated the Emancipation Proclamation here. Located at this site since 1857, the church has expanded its facilities through the years.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 19, 1975
Reference number
75000970
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Education; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1857
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Tags 

19th Century (37,744)
African-American heritage (1,531)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1857 (343)
Built during 1850s (4,691)
Church (5,702)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
Gothic (1,440)
Have Street View (46,069)
Limestone (8,192)
Michigan (1,937)
Place of worship (6,069)
Private owner (54,398)
Victorian (19,698)
Wayne County, Michigan (350)

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 29, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources