John's Island Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Johns Island and Wadlamaw Church
10 mi. W of Charleston on SR 20, Charleston, South Carolina

Photo 

John's Island Presbyterian Church, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Originally called John’s Island and Wadmalaw Church, the name was shorted to John’s Island Presbyterian Church in 1925. The date of the present church building is under dispute. According to local tradition it was built in 1719 and remodeled in 1792. However, Chancery Court proceedings of 1840 and 1842 refer to pulling down an old church and rebuilding a new one in 1822. A church school addition was built across the rear of the church in 1935. The frame meeting house church was one of the most prevalent styles of early church architecture in South Carolina. Containing refinements such as fanlights, arched windows, and interior balcony paneling, the church gives evidence of the builder’s attention to details and the wealth and prominence of its members, lowcountry planters. The front façade of this T-shaped clapboard structure consists of two front entryways with three-paneled double doors. Centered between the doors is an arched window with panel shutters. The spoked arch of the window is repeated in the fanlights of the doors. Centered in a boxed gable end is a semi-elliptical wooden fan. The church has beaded siding. The steeply-pitched roof has been covered with asbestos shingles. The church is surrounded by an open grassy area, part of which is the cemetery. Listed in the National Register November 3, 1975. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 3, 1975
Reference number
75001692
Architectural styles
Colonial; Other architectural type; "Meeting house" style
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church school; Church related residence
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1800-1824; 1750-1799
Significant years
1719; 1792; 1823
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description"
  • July 16, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources