Valley Creek Presbyterian Church

N of Selma on Valley Creek Rd., Selma, Alabama

A historic Presbyterian church in Valley Grande, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Valley Creek Presbyterian Church is a historic Presbyterian church in Valley Grande, Alabama, United States. The two-story red brick church building was built in the Greek Revival-style from 18571859. The sanctuary and a mezzanine level, formerly a slave gallery, are located on the upper floor. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1976, due to its architectural significance.

The Valley Creek Presbyterian congregation was established in 1816 by eight families from Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, making it the oldest Presbyterian congregation in Dallas County and one of the first established in what would become Alabama in 1819. The founding family members were former congregants of the Rocky River Presbyterian Church, organized in 1751. The Valley Creek Presbyterian congregation originally met in a wooden building, which was replaced by this brick structure.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1976
Reference number
76000323
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1857; 1858

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources