Blackwater Presbyterian Church

W of Clarksville on DE 54, Clarksville, Delaware

Photos 

SOUTH FRONT FROM SOUTHWEST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Oldest Presbyterian church building in southern Delaware. Founded by Charles Tennent. // 1767; rebuilt 1893. Clapboard siding over, presumably, heavy timber. Approximately 30' x 35'. Clapboards on west side are beaded; hood over doorway supported by brackets. Simple pews; heated by two stoves; oil lamps; stenciled frieze; plaque in north wall reads "Blackwater Church Built 1767. First Pastor Charles Tennent. Rebuilt 1893." The extent of rebuilding in 1893 is not known; scratched in plaster on interior was found "1860;" patches in clapboarding above and below west windows indicate window size changed; new roof 1970s; brick wall around churchyard, 1970s. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 9, 1976
Reference number
76000583
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Victorian
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1750-1799
Significant years
1767; 1893

Update Log 

  • May 11, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources