St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church

93 Hasell St., Charleston, South Carolina

Photo 

Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

St. Mary’s Church is considered the first established Roman Catholic Church in the Carolinas and Georgia. In 1789 trustees for the church purchased the property which it still occupies. In 1791 it was incorporated by the General Assembly of South Carolina as the Roman Catholic Church of Charleston. According to church records, the structure being used for services was soon replaced by a brick structure. This building was destroyed in 1838 in the Charleston fire of that year. Construction of the third and present structure began almost immediately, and the church was opened for worship June 9, 1839. The rectangular structure features four Doric columns that support a massive entablature which is capped with a stepped parapet. The parapet wall was probably added during the renovation program of 1895. A large central portal is flanked by a smaller door on each side. A semicircular arched window is located directly above the central door, with smaller circular windows above the side doors. Both circular and semicircular windows are embellished with keystones. The church graveyard surrounds the church on each side and to the rear. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1976. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1976
Reference number
76001697
Architectural styles
Early Republic; Other architectural type; Roman revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1839
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources