Biggin Church Ruins

2 mi. NE of Moncks Corner on SC 402, Moncks Corner, South Carolina

Photo 

Biggin Church Ruins

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Biggin Church Ruins are the remains of the parish church of St. Johnís Parish. The church was established by an act of the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly in 1706, which divided the colony into ten parishes. The original Biggin Church was probably completed ca. 1711. Biggin Church was used through the mid-nineteenth century and the surrounding cemetery is still being used. During the American Revolution, ammunitions were stored in the church by British troops who, upon leaving, set the church on fire. The church was burned several other times throughout its use, the last time in the late 1800s when it was not subsequently rebuilt. For many years the site served as a local brickyard. Although only portions of two walls remain, there is evidence that originally Biggin Church was designed with a degree of sophistication. Notable architectural details which remain include a Gibbs surround at the main portal, quoins at the corner, radiating voussoirs over the windows, and a rounded water tableóall executed in brick. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1977
Reference number
77001215
Areas of significance
Military; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1700-1749; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 2, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"

Sources