The Pettit Memorial Chapel was built in 1907 by Emma Pettit as a memorial to her deceased husband, Dr. William H. Pettit. Dr. Pettit practiced in Iowa where he was extremely popular. Mrs. Pettit commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design the memorial for a cemetery in Belvidere, Illinois, Dr. Pettit's home town.
It is thought to be Wright's first design using his Prairie Style and is the only building he designed specifically for a cemetery setting.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning