Union Church and Burial Ground

Also known as: Old Mud Church
607 E. Presqueisle St., Philipsburg, PA

Photos 

Photo taken by Brian Manville on April 24, 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A log meetinghouse was built in 1820 by the residents of Philipsburg. The building was used both as a school and as the community's first church, open to all Protestant ministers.

In 1842 the building was extensively rebuilt as a Gothic style Anglican church with a three-story entrance tower added to the front, a chancel added to the rear and the log walls of the meetinghouse incorporated into the main sanctuary. A rough mixture of plaster and clay stucco covers the church giving it its common name of the "Old Mud Church."

The last regular religious use was by Free Methodists in the early 1920s. The building has also been used as a local museum.

The cemetery is surrounded by a three-foot stone wall and contains a 330-year-old white oak known as the "Founder's Oak." The oldest grave is dated 1819.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 23, 1978
Reference number
78002365
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Gothic Revival vernacular
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1820; 1842
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • April 24, 2018: Updated by Brian Manville: Updated address & added photos
  • April 2, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Manville

Sources