St. Mark's Church

Also known as: St. Mark's Episcopal Church
W of Pinewood on SR 51, Pinewood, South Carolina

Photo 

St. Mark's Church, Left Elevation

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, built in 1855, is significant for its architectural style representative of the Gothic Revival Style prevalent in the mid-nineteenth century and for its association with individuals prominent in the history of South Carolina, including six governors of the State. Established by the South Carolina House of Commons in 1757, St. Mark’s Parish and its parish church were for many years significant in the settlement and development of this area. The present church is the fourth structure to serve as St. Mark’s Church. The original church was erected ca. 1767, but was destroyed by the British during the Revolution. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on February 25, 1854. It was designed by the well-known Charleston architects, Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 20, 1978
Reference number
78002530
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Religion; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1855
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo
  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources