Bethlehem Lutheran Church

White St., Round Top, Texas

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey, Harry L. Starnes, Photographer December 10, 1936 FRONT AND WEST SIDE ELEVATION.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Services were conducted by Lutheran (Evangelische) Church at Round Top soon after the settlement of the Germans in this area. On another site the first church was built about 1857. The present building, erected in 1866-67, is one of the earliest stone churches built in this section of the state, and it has been used for services continuously since its first dedication in 1866. The church was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1965. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 1978
Reference number
78002928
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Education; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church school
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1866

Update Log 

  • June 22, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources