Salem Black River Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Brick Church
E of Sumter on SC 521, Sumter, South Carolina

Photo 

Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, built in 1846, is a well-preserved example of Greek Revival architecture. From the time of its organization in the mid-eighteenth century until the present, Salem Church has played an important role in the development of history of the surrounding rural community. The church has been virtually unaltered since its construction. It features massive stucco-over-brick columns, a gable roof and a pedimented portico. Basilican in plan, the interior of Salem Black River Church is simple. A slave gallery extends along three sides and is supported by square paneled wooden pillars. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 14, 1978
Reference number
78003091
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1846
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources