First Congregational Church

33 E. Forest St., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: First Congregational Church of Detroit

In 1801, David Bacon and his wife Alice made the first attempt establish Congregationalism in Detroit. Sent by a Connecticut Congregational society, the Bacons failed in their efforts to build a mission. It was not until 1844 that the First Congregational Society was formed in Detroit. The Society erected a building which it soon outgrew. A second structure was dedicated in 1854. The third and present church known as the "Church of the Seven Arches" was completed in 1891. Designed by John L. Faxon, it has Byzantine and Romanesque features. The tower of the church is crowned by a statue of the Angel Uriel. Both the exterior and interior of this church are rich in the colors and symbolism of the Christian religion.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1979
Reference number
79001173
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Byzantine
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1891; 1900

Tags 

19th Century (37,181)
Albert Kahn (46)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1891 (660)
Built during 1890s (7,443)
Church (5,618)
Copper (1,057)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
Have Street View (43,484)
John Lyman Faxon (3)
Michigan (1,917)
Place of worship (5,978)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,715)
Sandstone (4,861)
Victorian (19,697)
Wayne County, Michigan (344)

Update Log 

  • October 19, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 30, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources