First Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Ecumenicl Theological Seminary
2930 Woodward Ave., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This building is the fourth home of the First Presbyterian Church, the continuing congregation of the First Protestant Society of Detroit, which was formally incorporated in 1821. The society was organized in 1816 by the Reverend John Monteith, a 28-year-old graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary, who in 1817 helped found and became the first president of what is now the University of Michigan. This Romanesque style edifice, designed by George D. Mason and Zachariah Rice, was dedicated in 1891. Its congregation, one of the oldest Protestant ones in the state, established Detroit's Harper Hospital in 1861. In 1911 the adjoining "church house" was completed for educational and social activities.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 19, 1979
Reference number
79001174
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1889; 1891

Tags 

19th Century (37,744)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1889 (690)
Built during 1880s (6,473)
Church (5,702)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
George D. Mason (9)
Have Street View (46,069)
Michigan (1,937)
Place of worship (6,069)
Private owner (54,398)
Romanesque (2,722)
Sandstone (4,861)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)
Wayne County, Michigan (350)

Update Log 

  • September 30, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources