Second Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Clayborn Temple
280 Hernando St., Memphis, Tennessee

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW, FROM NORTHWEST

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

Constructed as the Second Presbyterian Church in 1891, this Gothic Church is most famous under the name Claiborn Temple when it served as the center for the great civil rights movement of the 1960s. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 4, 1979
Reference number
79002478
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1891; 1892

Tags 

19th Century (36,419)
Built 1891 (638)
Built during 1890s (7,207)
Church (5,418)
E.C. Jones (3)
Kees & Long (1)
Limestone (8,192)
Memphis, Tennessee (153)
Place of worship (5,767)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,704)
Shelby County, Tennessee (193)
Tennessee (2,818)
Victorian (19,690)

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources