Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel

1301 Richland St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Located on the site of the first Lutheran church in Columbia, Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel was constructed in 1870 and extensively renovated in 1900. It was designed by Columbia architect Gustav Theodore Berg and remodeled by the Columbia architectural firm of Wilson and Edwards. The church features a front fašade in Flemish bond brick with glazed headers flanked by two square towers and finely detailed ca. 1900 art glass windows. Centered in the front fašade is a large stained glass Palladian window. Brick pilasters with terra cotta capitals are featured on each corner of the front fašade. The interior of the church is notable for its intricate pressed metal ceiling, its chancel area and organ platform which retains its turned balustrade. Alterations to the chapel have consisted of the removal of the pews and pulpit, and the removal of the balustrade and cupola which originally crowned each of the two towers. Located directly adjacent to the churchyard is a Lutheran cemetery which dates from the early 1800s. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003365
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Cemetery
Current functions
Cemetery; Civic
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1850-1874; 1800-1824
Significant years
1800; 1870; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • October 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources