Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church

Also known as: Cass Avenue United Methodist Church
3901 Cass Ave., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This monumental structure typifies Richardsonian Romanesque ecclesiastic architecture. The original 1883 portion was designed by Mason and Rice for the Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in 1880. The 1891 east addition is the work of Malcomson and Higginbotham. Of special significance are the colorful Tiffany stained glass windows and the Johnson - Tracker church organ, thought to be the largest nineteenth-century pipe organ in Michigan. The congregation has a reputation for fostering community outreach programs since its founding.

(The Marker has been stolen and only the post is left.)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 1982
Reference number
82000548
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1883; 1891

Tags 

19th Century (37,339)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1883 (506)
Built during 1880s (6,387)
Church (5,644)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
Have Street View (43,950)
Malcolmson & Higginbotham (1)
Mason & Rice (5)
Michigan (1,919)
Place of worship (6,008)
Private owner (54,396)
Romanesque (2,716)
Slate (5,715)
Victorian (19,697)
Wayne County, Michigan (346)

Update Log 

  • October 19, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 27, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources