County Line Baptist Church

E of Dudleyville, Dudleyville Vicinity, Alabama

A historic church built in 1890 and has been in continuous use and remained virtually unaltered since its construction.

Map 

Description 

County Line Baptist Church is a historic church east of Dudleyville, Alabama. The church was first organized on May 2, 1835 in the frontier home of William C. Morgan. Morgan purchased the two acre site from Creek Indians and contributed it to the church. The current church building on the site was built in 1890 has been in continuous use and remained virtually unaltered since its construction.

In addition to Morgan, and his wife Lucindy, the historic marker on the site lists the following charter members of County Line Baptist Church: Green and Mary Talbot, Tilmon and Sarah Brawner, Charles and Almeda Bussy, James Sanders, Thomas D. and Cindaulor Berry, Elender Butler and two slaves, Charles and Elizer. The presiding clergy was Henry Perkins, Benjamin Lloyd, and Francis Calloway, the first pastor.

The Church was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on January 14, 1980 and the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1982.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1982
Reference number
82002001
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1889

Update Log 

  • May 23, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added Description

Sources