Saint Joseph's Church and Complex

1401 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA

Map 

Street View 

Description 

St. Joseph's church and parish were founded in 1861 by Rev. Hugh Gallagher. The first church, a wood frame structure, was followed in 1865 by a another which was destroyed in the 1906 fire. The cornerstone of the present Neo-Romanesque church, designed by architect John Foley, was laid in April 1913. Saint Joseph's Church, Parish Hall and Rectory have been vacant since they were damaged by the Loma Prieta Earthquake on 17 October 1989. San Francisco Designated Landmark No.120

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 15, 1982
Reference number
82002250
NR name
St. Joseph's Church and Complex
Architectural style
Victorian: Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church school; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1914
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • May 15, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information
  • January 27, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources