Old First Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Daugherty Hall
W. Main St., Newark, Delaware

Photos 

NORTH FRONT

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

This was the first Presbyterian church to be established in Wilmington. Architecturally it is a fine example of the mid-eighteenth century ecclesiastical style of construction. Only a few buildings of this date today remain in as good condition. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 7, 1982
Reference number
82002347
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
College
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1868; 1872; 1927

Tags 

19th Century (38,039)
Built 1868 (365)
Built during 1860s (3,790)
Church (5,751)
Delaware (641)
Dixon & Davis (1)
Gothic (1,440)
Granite (5,091)
New Castle County, Delaware (378)
Newark MRA (34)
Newark, Delaware (77)
Owned by state government (3,452)
Place of worship (6,119)
Sandstone (4,861)
Slate (5,715)
Victorian (19,703)

Update Log 

  • May 11, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources