Daes Chapel Methodist Church

1547 Washington St, Clarkesville

Photos 

This one story, wood framed church is an early 20th century church of the black community. The land and building, moved from another site, were donated by Miss Amanda Daes, a prominent black citizen of Clarkesville, who owned land across the county and operated a restaurant on the Square.

Photo taken by pam phillips in November 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 18, 1982
Reference number
82002430
Area of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1900-1924

Update Log 

  • November 7, 2015: New photos from pam phillips
  • November 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Street View" and Corrected "GPS Coordinates"

Sources