Bracken Baptist Church

Also known as: Old Minerva Church
CR 1235, Minerva, Kentucky

Photos 

Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Test from Kentucky historical marker: "Church constituted in 1793 by the Rev. Lewis Craig, leader of the "Traveling Church." Bracken Baptist Assoc. also formed here in 1799. The congreggation divided over slavery in 1805, with each faction having own pastor. Church again split in 1829 during the Campbell movement, which called for Biblical liberalism. Over.

(Reverse) The church's membership began to decline in 1850. The building was last used as a house of worship around 1900. The property was sold to a private citizen in 1930 for $280 and used as a tobacco barn. The property was donated to the Friends of Minerva historical group in 1996. Restoration of the building completed in 2005. Over."

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 28, 1983
Reference number
83002821
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1842

Update Log 

  • July 26, 2017: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • June 21, 2012: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
  • July 31, 2010: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources