Sacred Heart Church

418 N. Dewey St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Distinctive Catholic Church on a bluff overlooking Eau Claire

Photos 

East (Front) Elevation

Sacred Heart is atop a bluff that overlooks the city. The distinctive twin towers give it a signature look.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Located on a prominent bluff overlooking the city, Sacred Heart Church is characterized by identical metal-covered twin towers, each supporting a Latin cross. Rose-colored windows and round arched openings are significant features of the building.

"Eau Claire’s Catholics organized a congregation in 1858 and constructed a small frame church on North Barstow Street. Originally called St. Peter’s Church, it was renamed St. Patrick’s (see #26) in 1865. About ten years later, sixty German-speaking families left the church to form their own parish, Sacred Heart. They built a frame church and school on this site but soon replaced them with brick structures, a church in 1880 and a school in 1910. Sacred Heart Hospital, founded in 1889, was constructed just north of that church (see #106). The present church building was completed in 1928. In 1999 a new parish, Sacred Heart of Jesus-St. Patrick, recombined the two oldest Catholic congregations in the City."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1983
Reference number
83003391
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1928

Update Log 

  • July 21, 2018: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • July 20, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and added photos

Sources