Calvary Presbyterian Church

Also known as: The Big Red Church, In Tandem Theater
935 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The first Presbyterian congregation and Presbyterian church edifice west of the Milwaukee River, and the third Presbyterian church in Milwaukee, Calvary is one of the city's older surviving churches and an important, relatively well-preserved local example of the Victorian Gothic style. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

The church was built with Cream City brick that has since been painted red. The west spire is 202' tall, the east spire is 105' tall.

The In Tandem Theater operates in the basement.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1986
Reference number
86000098
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1870; 1872

Tags 

19th Century (38,102)
Brick (42,466)
Built 1870 (570)
Built during 1870s (5,064)
Church (5,781)
Gothic (1,441)
Have Street View (50,361)
Henry C. Koch & Hess,Julius (1)
Limestone (8,194)
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (325)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (163)
Place of worship (6,150)
Private owner (54,402)
Sandstone (4,860)
Slate (5,715)
Victorian (19,703)
West Side Area MRA (27)
Wisconsin (2,627)

Update Log 

  • May 24, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • June 13, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources