Hopkins Presbyterian Church

Also known as: Hopkins Methodist Church
Near jct. of CR 66 and CR 86, Hopkins, South Carolina

Photo 

Hopkins Presbyterian Church, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Hopkins Presbyterian is significant as an unusually intact example of a small nineteenth century, rural church. Distinctive architectural features of the building include the round-arched entrance, the imbricated and squared shingles in the gable ends, and the tripartite window on the rear. The building was built ca. 1891 for the Hopkins Methodist Church, but the congregation lapsed, and in 1919 the building was purchased by the Hopkins Presbyterian Church. The congregation began in the late nineteenth century as a small group which met in a nearby school building. A student from the Columbia Presbyterian Seminary preached to the group two Sundays a month. This continued until 1916 when Hopkins Presbyterian Church was formally organized. The congregation was small; there were fifteen charter members. By 1937 there were 41 members, but in 1955 the membership had grown so small that services were discontinued. Today the church and cemetery are maintained by the Hopkins Presbyterian Cemetery Association. The church is a small, one-story frame building. The interior includes the small vestibule and a modest sanctuary with beaded-board walls and ceiling. Surviving original furnishings include wooden pews, pulpit chairs, a lectern, a communion table, and a pump organ. The large church lot contains a cemetery. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 27, 1986
Reference number
86000538
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1891

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources