United Unitarian and Universalist Church

Also known as: Resurrection Episcopal Church
216 Main St., Mukwonago, Wisconsin

Church currently closed and unused


Overview Looking Northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2016




"Built opposite the homes of village founding fathers and Unitarian and Universalist Society organizers Sewall Andrews and Martin Field, the structure blended compatibly with the other residential, mercantile, and religious units along the village's primary thoroughfare during the late nineteenth century. Today, it represents the sole surviving church edifice constructed by Yankees on Main Street by 1880. Other architecturally significant structures completed by the Congregationalists (1872) and Baptists (1879) have since been demolished."

From the National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form Prepared by Martin C. Perkins, Historian, in May 1987 and submitted to the National Park Service.

After the dissolution of the Universalist Church, the building was used by the Resurrection Episcopal Church until November 18, 2014. The reader board, as of this writing, still days "Autumn Leaves God Stays."

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1987
Reference number
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant year


19th Century (37,324)
Built 1878 (320)
Built during 1870s (4,966)
Church (5,637)
Gothic (1,435)
Mukwonago, Wisconsin (3)
Place of worship (6,001)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,161)
Victorian (19,697)
Waukesha County, Wisconsin (160)
Wisconsin (2,564)

Update Log 

  • June 10, 2016: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos