St. James Episcopal Church and Rectory

9 W. Olive, Bozeman, Montana

Map 

Description 

"The first services were held in this lovely Gothic style Episcopal church in October 1890. Built at a time when Bozeman hoped to become the capital of Montana, the church reflects the optimism and prosperity that came on the heels of the gold rush in 1863 and statehood in 1889. Episcopalians were among the first to gather in the fledgling settlement of Bozeman when Bishop Daniel Tuttle held services on July 5, 1868. By 1876, a wood frame church stood near the present site. Ground breaking for the new stone church took place on September 13, 1889. Architect George Hancock of Fargo, North Dakota, provided the building plans; James S. Campbell was general contractor. Built of grey sandstone from the local Esler quarry, the church features a stately bell tower crowned with a copper cross. Prior to completion of the bell tower, the 500-pound, five-tone bell, donated in 1883 by Rosa (Mrs. W. J.) Beall, was housed on a platform in front of the wood frame church. The church interior reflects the same craftsmanship as the structure. The trussed ceiling is finished in natural oiled Norway pine paneling. Softly blended colors of cathedral glass in the windows reflect the Art Nouveau style of the period. The adjacent rectory, constructed in 1883, was remodeled to its present Colonial Revival style in 1930. The parish hall connecting the rectory and church was designed in 1940 by Fed Willson. St. James symbolized the solid foundations laid by her pioneer congregation." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 23, 1987
Reference number
87001841
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Church related residence
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1889; 1890
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • July 24, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical information

Sources