Holy Trinity Church (Protestant Episcopal)

157 Montague St., New York, New York

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Minard Lafever, one of mid-19th century America's leading architects, secured his reputation with the design of this outstanding Gothic Revival church. Built in 1844-1847, it was largely funded by Edgar John Bartow, who had dreamed of building the finest church in New York City. The windows, by brothers William and John Bolton, comprise the earliest complete set of stained glass designed and fabricated in this country. The sandstone spire that once soared above the tower has been removed. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 23, 1987

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 23, 1987
Reference number
87002590
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Religious structure
Current function
Religious structure
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1844; 1847

Update Log 

  • February 10, 2018: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources