Dutch Reformed Church

Also known as: First Reformed Church of New Brunswick
160 Neilson St., New Brunswick, New Jersey

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer March 1960 FRONT (EAST) ELEVATION

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The old stone church, which stood on the site of the present edifice, was seriously damaged during the British occupation of New Brunswick (winter 1766-1767). Temporary repairs permitted use until 1811, when it was razed and work began on the present building. Until recent times the church was the scene of inaugurations of Rutgers' presidents and of Rutgers' commencements. Many past leaders of the Reformed Church are buried on the grounds. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS NJ-716)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1988
Reference number
88001703
Architectural styles
Victorian: Italianate; Georgian; Federal
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Significant years
1812; 1872; 1886
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1

Tags 

19th Century (37,861)
Built 1812 (121)
Built during 1810s (1,407)
Church (5,712)
Federal (4,600)
Georgian (1,435)
Italianate (5,114)
Middlesex County, New Jersey (69)
New Brunswick, New Jersey (21)
New Jersey (1,722)
Place of worship (6,079)
Private owner (54,398)
Sandstone (4,861)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)

Update Log 

  • July 7, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources