St. Helena Parish Chapel of Ease Ruins

Also known as: St. Helena Island Parish Church Ruins
SC Sec. Rd. 45, near jct. with SC Sec. Rd. 37, Frogmore, South Carolina

Photos 

St. Helena Island Parish Church Ruins

1. GENERAL VIEW, NORTH SIDE AND WEST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTH

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The St. Helena Parish Chapel of Ease is significant as an intact example of mid-18th century tabby construction as for its association with St. Helena Episcopal Parish, both as a primary and secondary place of worship for inhabitants of the parish. It burned in a forest fire in February 1886. The chapel was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places at the South Carolina State Board of Review on February 27, 1988. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS SC-590)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1988
Reference number
88001777
Architectural style
Colonial
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1700-1749; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
1740; 1812; 1886
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 2

Update Log 

  • December 2, 2019: New photos from Michael Miller
  • July 1, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources